What Is the Shoe Game?
The Wedding Shoe Game is a common wedding reception activity where the bride and groom have to prove their knowledge of each other. They will be asked questions such as who the best cook is or the worst driver, and they have to decide who it applies to–all without being able to see each other’s answers. It is an entertaining game for the guests to watch, especially when the answers don’t align!
How to Play the Wedding Shoe Game?
This game is such a simple set up and requires the bare minimum of preparation. It is an easy reception game to play but still provides a great source of entertainment. Here is how you play:
Step 1: Set it up
Set up two chairs back to back, and seat the bride and groom down together. The point of the game is that they don’t see each other’s answers. Have them take off both of their shoes and hand one to the other. They should each be holding one of the bride’s shoes and one of the groom’s. These shoes will represent each other. If a question applies to the groom, his shoe will be raised, and vice versa.
Step 2: Choose the host
The host will be reading the questions out loud to the couple. It is usually the maid of honor or best man, although it can also be one of the parents of the couple. They need to be confident enough to stand up in front of a crowd, so choose someone who does not get stage fright easily. Have the person in charge of the questions hold a microphone, so that the entire room can hear them speak.
Step 3: Read the questions
Either print out a list of questions that you found online or make up your own! It is a good idea to make a mix of questions–have them be serious, romantic, difficult, and hilarious. Take some time to think of entertaining questions that make the couple really think hard about their answers. Also, make sure that the couple don’t know the questions beforehand. They should not have any extra time to think of their answers or even discuss it with each other. The point of the game is to test their knowledge. The questions should be prepared ahead of time by someone in the bridal party, typically the one who will host the game.
Step 4: Answer!
Once the question is read out, the bride and groom should immediately answer. They will raise the shoe of the person they think fits the description best. For example, if they think the bride is a better driver, then they will raise her shoe as an answer. Most of the time they try to turn around to see each other’s answers, so make sure they reset and are sitting back-to-back before the next round of questions are asked. They might even start bickering if they choose different answers, which can be funny for the guests to watch (so long as it remains just lighthearted teasing).
Wedding Shoe Game Questions
- Who had a bigger crush on the other one?
- Who approached the other one first?
- Who asked the other one out on a date first?
- Who was the pursuer early on in the relationship?
- Who started the first argument?
- Who leaned in for the kiss first?
- Who decides where to go on dates?
- Who is the leader in the relationship?
- Who talks more?
- Who complains more?
- Who is the more romantic one?
- Who is more adventurous?
- Who is the one always convincing the other to go out?
- Who is the one always planning trips?
- Who is closer to their family?
- Who gets along better with the other’s family?
- Who is always comforting the other one?
- Who wants to get kids more than the other?
Daily Life Questions
- Who is ready first or always waiting for the other one?
- Who wakes up first in the morning?
- Who prepares breakfast or coffee?
- Who is more organized?
- Who is the messy one?
- Who is doing most of the cooking?
- Who exercises more?
- Who turns off the lights at night and locks up the house?
- Who is the one always getting lost and asking the other for directions?
- Who gets home first from work?
- Who makes the bed?
- Who pays the bills?
- Who is the one always deciding which music to play?
- Who has better taste in music?
- Who is always deciding which movies or TV shows to play?
- Who is more interested in sports?
- Who is always eating healthy?
- Who eats more junk food?
- Who loves animals more?
- Who is more addicted to their phone?
Funny Shoe Game Questions
- Who is always leaving the toilet seat up/down?
- Who is constantly losing their keys?
- Who takes up more space on the bed at night?
- Who burps more?
- Who farts more?
- Whose farts are louder?
- Whose farts are smellier?
- Who has smellier armpits?
- Who goes longer without washing their clothes?
- Who’s terrified of monsters or has other irrational fears?
- Who believes in aliens?
- Who wakes up grumpier?
- Who is better at keeping secrets?
- Who is crazier?
- Who cries more during movies?
- Who snores the loudest?
- Who is more addicted to their phone?
- Who is more of a control freak?
- Who gets drunk quicker?
- Who sings the loudest in the shower?
- Who can’t stop texting their friends?
- Who spends more time talking on the phone?
- Who is “always right?”
Dirty Shoe Game Questions
- Who is a better kisser?
- Who is a better lover?
- Who is more flirtatious?
- Who has a bigger behind?
- Who dresses more flirtatiously?
- Who initiated sex first?
- Who initiates sex most of the time?
- Who is louder during sex?
- Who is quieter during sex?
- Which one is kinkier?
- Which one is shy about what they like to do in bed?
Work and Money Shoe Game Question
- Who pays the bills?
- Who tends to work more?
- Who is more likely to stay at work late?
- Who is the bigger shopaholic?
- Who saves more money?
- Who’s more likely to spend all their money at a Bed Bath & Beyond (or insert couple’s favorite store) sale?
Rules to play the Shoe Game at the wedding
- Make the bride and groom sit on chairs with their backs towards each other.
- Both the bride and groom should hold one theirs and one their partner’s shoe in both their hands.
- The Emcee or host or the bridesmaids shall ask questions to the couple. To which the answer must be either ‘bride’ or the groom’. The couple won’t be allowed to speak, they will have to answer the questions by raising a shoe. For instance, if the answer is the bride, then both of them will raise the bride’s shoe and vice versa.
- The maximum tenure of the game is 10 minutes, which includes a series of 20-30 questions being asked.
Tips to make this wedding game more enjoyable:
- Make sure that the questions are amusing and prepared well in advance.
- Have a set of questions handy.
- All the questions asked should only be related to the couple’s personal life which involves both of them.
- No question that can hurt anybody should be asked or added in the list.
- Get the wedding guests involved in the game. Allow them to ask few impromptu questions (not too many, just a few)
- Keep a check on the scores so as to announce the results after the show game.
- Lastly, have unlimited fun.